Doug's Darkworld

War, Science, and Philosophy in a Fractured World.

Kill a Tree For Christ

with 7 comments

christmas_rabbi.jpg
Christmas lawsuit anyone?

Ah, the Holiday Season. That joyous time of year when everyone celebrates the true spirit of America…greed. OK, I’m a bit cynical about Christmas. I hate traffic and crowds for one. I propose that women be prohibited by law from Christmas shopping. A man can shop for twenty five relatives in fifteen minutes. Boom, boom, boom, the Christmas shopping would all happen in a few hours the day before Christmas. Sure, the first year there would be long lines at the return counters and a spike in the divorce and homicide rates, but the surviving males would do a much better job on subsequent Christmases.

Moving right along, a man threatened to sue the Seattle airport if they didn’t display a secular menorah next to a display of secular Christmas Trees. I know that every pundit on the planet is going to comment on this, nonetheless I’m going to throw my two cents in. My first thought involves an appropriate disposal for the offending Christmas Trees, but alas it would be anatomically impossible and frankly a bit of an over-reaction. The Holiday Season gets less jolly every year, this sort of thing grates on my already mangled nerves.

I can understand his desire to sue to force the airport to display an eight foot tall plastic menorah lit with electric lights in the Airport Concourse. No, wait, I can’t. Doesn’t anybody in America mind their own business anymore? Who does this guy think he is? Rabbi Elazar Bogomilsky, that’s who. If he had wanted to change the airport’s decor, there are myriad ways for him to do so. Petitions, letters, to the editor, etc. Instead, he has to threaten a lawsuit and ruin it for everyone. A baseless lawsuit, since the Supreme Court ruled long ago that Christmas Trees are secular in nature, so while his sensibilities may have been offended, his rights were not being curtailed in any way. Good going dude.

In the UK, the Home Secretary has been announced that a “Christmas Terror Attack” would likely be attempted. Um, can he spell “fear mongering?” Unless he has a time machine or a crystal ball, how the Hell does he know that? What possible good does this announcement serve? He went on and basically repeated the nonsense claim that there are hordes of “terrorists” trying to break through the UK’s defenses. Granted, there may be organizations who want to strike back at the UK for the UK’s involvement in such human rights atrocities as the conquest of Afghanistan and Iraq, but that’s war, not terrorism. Alas many Brits, like most Americans, have been brainwashed with the idea that it’s perfectly OK for the US and Britain to blow people up anywhere on the planet…but it’s a terrible crime when people try to blow up Americans and Brits. Say what?

And just in case there is no real carnage on Christmas, Hollywood has come up with a substitute. Yes, a bloody slasher flick is being released on Christmas day! Somewhat deceptively titled “Black Christmas,” now people everywhere in America can celebrate the birth of our Lord by watching scantily clad coeds be butchered by a madman! Isn’t America great? Does Hollywood have no shame? Aren’t you glad this wasn’t another depressing Iraq post?

Merry Christmas!

(The above image is claimed a Fair Use under US copyright law. It is central to illustrating the post, it is not being used for profit, and sadly it is an historically important image.)

Written by unitedcats

December 11, 2006 at 8:50 am

7 Responses

1. What a STUPID lawsuit. I don’t like all the Christmas stuff either, but I am not SUING anyone. Good grief! Grow Up!

Freckles

frecklescassie

December 11, 2006 at 10:02 am

2. I agree completely. I don’t know why people are so overly sensitive this time of year. I have no idea why people can’t celebrate their respective holidays in the places in their jurisdiction and allow others to do so in theirs. There has to be this whole posturing my holiday is better than your holiday drama. Christmas, Hanukah, Kwanzaa, Yule, or even a holiday of your own that you want to observe, Jedi Resurrection Day for all I care. I just wish people would get over themselves. Minorities, if you have the freedom to observe your holidays, why this overwhelming need to be prominent and actively represented? Christians, just because people prefer not to observe your holiday or go with your phrasing of greetings does not endanger Christmas. (Saying Happy Holidays instead of Merry Christmas is not an attack against your beliefs.) For heaven’s sake can’t this be a time of good effin cheer?

Now if only Sultan Center could get their act together and get me some real effin candy canes instead of this weird strawberry knock off shite.

SnoCone

December 11, 2006 at 5:19 pm

3. Good effin cheer? Classic. Sorry–I LOVE Christmas. As a parent its even better cause we get to call the shots on the budget. We figure Jesus got 3 gifts, gold, frankincense and myrrh. Why should our kids get much more? I know Kohl’s has 70% off gold, Bath & Body works may have an incense sale, but I’m not sure about myrrh. Is embalming/anointing item appropriate for a toddler? I’ll have to see what Consumer Reports says.

Anyway, I love the excuse you have to give. Have you ever tried to give someone a gift outside of the month of December or their birthday? They immediately think a) you want something b)you are trying to tell them something c)they have to pay you back. Its so annoying. So perhaps my New Year’s resolution(I’ve never made one in my life) will be to give without occasion and not care what they think of me. I’m sorry, was this too positive? : )

Joni

December 11, 2006 at 6:59 pm

4. Jedi Resurrection Day! Someone tell Halmark to start a new line of cards…heh. “For heaven’s sake can’t this be a time of good effin cheer?” I think I will put that on all my Christmas cards this year. :)

glitterlessgold

December 11, 2006 at 7:43 pm

5. LOL I’m still cracking up over Jedi Ressurection Day too, zero Google hits on the phrase. Must be a very local Holiday. In any event, it’s a solution for Joni’s dilemma, when giving someone a gift outside of Christmas/Bday, just say “Happy Jedi Ressurection Day!” Good effin cheer indeed. :o) Doug

unitedcats

December 11, 2006 at 7:53 pm

6. Hi Doug!

Sorry I’ve been out of circulation for a while, health issues and everything in between.

Here is an article from my friend Ralph:

If you don’t celebrate Christmas this time of year, and you are easily offended, stop reading this now.

If you are still reading, out of curiosity, but you celebrate a holiday other than Christmas this time of the year, please understand that no one wishes to deprive you of your own special celebration, but the United State, as a country, celebrates Christmas. Christmas, not those other things, is our national holiday.

We welcome and accommodate other celebrations, but our main celebration this time of the year is Christmas. It’s a long tradition, and it’s going to continue.

I mention this because of what happened in Seattle, at the airport. A rabbi wanted the airport to add a menorah next to the Christmas trees. Rather than adding the menorah, the airport took down all the Christmas trees. After consulting with lawyers, airport staff concluded that adding the menorah would have required adding symbols for other religions and cultures in the Northwest. Airport spokeswoman Terri-Ann Betancourt said the staff “didn’t have time to play cultural anthropologists.”

It’s a shame that the folks at the Seattle airport were forced to make that decision. If they had put up the menorah, it would have invited others to demand “equal treatment.” That’s the way people are these days. They look for opportunities to be offended by being left out.

The natural thing for public places like airports to do this time of the year is to put up Christmas decorations because the United States celebrates Christmas. The federal holiday is not Hanukkah or Kwanza. It is Christmas. That doesn’t mean that anyone wants to prevent anyone from observing or celebrating Hanukkah or Kwanza, but the center of American attention this time of year is Christmas. It is completely normal, traditional and acceptable for public places to display Christmas decorations and only Christmas decorations. Our classic holiday movies — “White Christmas,” “Miracle on 34th Street,” “The Christmas Story,” “It’s a Wonderful Life,” “Holiday Inn,” “A Christmas Carol” – all celebrate Christmas.

If your family, church or group celebrates another holiday, that’s okay. We won’t stand in your way. Just don’t insist that it share an equal status with Christmas. In the United States of America, it doesn’t. Our national holiday is Christmas.

If it offends you to be left out, join in. We don’t mind if others celebrate Christmas. You don’t even have to believe in Christ. Atheists and agnostics celebrate Christmas too. That’s what’s so great about Christmas. You can make it whatever you want to. Some people make the birth of Jesus the main focus of their celebration. For others, it’s Santa Clause and all the presents under the tree. Christmas is a multi-faceted, multi-cultural celebration. There is room for other celebrations at the same time of the year, but the national holiday and the national celebration is Christmas.

That’s the way it is. You don’t have to like it, and because it’s a free country, you have a right to protest if you want to. But, know that your protests are annoying and they do nothing to engender respect for your holiday. In America, all men are created equal, but all holidays are not. In December, our national holiday is Christmas.

bereans

December 12, 2006 at 1:47 pm

7. Nicely put, I have to agree. The USA is a predominently Christian country, Christmas is our biggest Holiday. It’s an extremely versatile Holiday, everyone is invited, no one will check your Christian credentials at the door. Spend the Holidays in deep spiritual contemplation, or join us on the Christian fringe with eggnog, brandy, and mulled wine. In fact, celebrate Christmas in any way you damn please, or don’t celebrate it all if that’s your pleasure! But the REST of us are TRYING to have a little HOLIDAY CHEER, and we would appreciate it if for ONE MONTH a year the peanut gallery would MYOB. Thank you and Merry Christmas. :0) Doug

unitedcats